We are currently working on an online map of the graves in the churchyard so watch this space!
In the meantime, here is a quiz to enjoy when you walk round the area. With thanks to Carol and Steve Pullen.
Cherishing Churchyards – Treasure Hunt
Welcome to our mini walking treasure hunt in Twyford. We hope that you enjoy doing it as much as we did in putting it together.
These clues are to be found in and around the St Marys churchyard.
You can see most of the answers from footpaths, along the grass strip behind the church or alongside the northern edge of the churchyard however some are a few feet away from the pathways, so please be respectful of this peaceful place!
To make it a bit harder, the questions are not in any particular order.
1. What was restored in memory of Anthony & Topsy Hill?
2. What was Topsy Hill’s first name?
3. Where was Malcolm Henry Haig buried?
4. Who was the adored wife of Colonel Curtis?
5. Who was Elizabeth Drew’s husband?
6. What did Dame Allison Fairborn do on 3rd November 1876?
7. Where did George Henry Powell die?
8. What was the christian name of Noreen Emily Whiting’s father?
9. Where was Arthur Saltmarshe born?
10. Which clever fluid is used to protect the church from thieves?
11. How old was Elizabeth Young when she died?
12. Mike Turner was a GP but what hobby did he pursue in his spare time?
13. Who donated a bench in memory of Roy Cousins?
14. There is a bird carved on Patrick Dean’s headstone, what is it?
15. Paul Gibson had a twin sister, what was her name?
16. Which Fairbairn was a 2nd Baronet?
17. In whose memory was the noticeboard placed in the church entrance?
18. There are a pair of metal gates at an entrance to the churchyard, in whose memory were they restored?
19. How old was Joiln Parsons when he died?
20. When did Roger Hockley die?
21. How much is required to repair the church bells?
22. What was the occupation of David Witt whose motto was ‘Measure twice, cut once’?
23. Who was the vicar of Twyford from 1888 until 1896?
24. Which words were written on the sign on the ‘Ancient Tree’ in April 1977?
Answers may be found hereTwyford Churchyard Quiz Answers.