A Brief History of Twyford Church
Christians have worshipped here for nearly 1,000 years. An early Saxon building was replaced by a Norman church, which in turn was replaced in the 19th Century by the Victorians, who retained the normal capitals on top of the round pillars.
The present church was designed by the eminent Victorian architect Alfred Waterhouse (Natural History Museum, Manchester Town Hall), and is a Grade II* Listed Building. St Mary’s was dedicated in 1878 and remodelled in 1996 to include church rooms, toilets and kitchen facilities.
More details, taken from a framed picture in the church, may be found here.